Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Quickie posting...

Busy busy day. In the office this morning... bead making this afternoon and evening. In between, more pattern diagramming (is that a word? looks funny!).

I like the new Adobe Photoshop Elements, but I'm still getting used to it... the tools are in a different place and when I work, I'm sort of on auto-pilot, clicking where I THINK the paintbrush is... and ending up with some new tool that I don't yet know what it does.

I'll get used to it and HOPEFULLY find the new fun things that it can do... but for now, there is a learning curve that I just don't have time for.

Kits are getting assembled, beads are being made and packing is SORT OF starting... but not really. I'm totally bad at packing!!! I do have to ship some stuff to the hotel and need to get it out today so that it can meet me in Detroit. The luggage limitations and hassle have made this a new challenge.

I'm getting into the groove again and it should get easier each time... BUT at the same time, I'm looking at new venues that will have challenges of their own. The more I think on it, the more I am considering doing art shows instead of bead shows (or in addition to bead shows). I know that the percentage of people from the general population that purchase beads is small... and my percentage of bead buyers, those buying high-end products is even smaller. So, I've been thinking that I need to cast a broader net... to be in more shows that aim at the general public, where the percentage of buyers is larger. I don't know how my work will be received in that audience.. or with those juries that accept people into the shows, but I think it's time to consider this more seriously.

This is ONE of the things that has been spinning around in my brain lately. It's also caused me to question whether I would sell jewelry or something else at shows like this. There are WAY too many jewelry booths at every show I've been to lately and I think it would be much harder to be accepted as a jewelry artist. So what do I do??? This is what I've been asking myself lately and what has caused a lot of reflection AND a lot of new creative ideas. It's just a matter of deciding what road I want to take.

I'm excited about the possible paths... it's just that they are all new AND require, in layman's terms, some Research and Development. Most companies have whole department for that... with Sylviebeads... I'm it. I'm everything. I'm R&D, production, travel & transportation, marketing and sales, management, procurement, shipping and receiving, accounts payable... you name it, I'm it. And that is a LOT for one person to handle... especially a creative one that wants to just be the R&D department right now.

Maybe someday I'll be an empire... for now, I'm just a one-woman show! (with some really cute back-up singers who step in and help when I need them)

ok... this was longer than planned. Back to work!!!!!

Have a great day everyone!!! (and hello to the unknown person who likes Gilda Radner... glad you've stuck around!)


tiny blah blah blah...

coffee - Cinnamon Dolce Latte which seems even yummier than usual!

music - Black Eyed Peas for now.... Jane Austen audio books later!

1 comment:

rosebud101 said...

BAck at you, Sylvie!