Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Here we are... it's already Wednesday!

(editor's note: this is a really goofy entry because I am in a total goof-ball mood today)

And I haven't made any beads this week!!!!!!!!!! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! I should just end the blog entry there since that's all the beady info I have for today. BUT instead, I'm going to do what I always say I'm not going to do and talk about other stuff.

Today's topic is... stupid things suggested by the elementary school...

I went to the Curriculum Night at school last night and while we were there to talk about what the kids are learning and what's expected of them this year, they also talked about some general information stuff for 5th graders. One of the topics was "snacks sent from home."

First, I have to say, that neither of my boys has wanted a snack since 3rd (?) grade. I would put things in back-packs and they would stay there for months. OR I would find them in their desks when I went for a conference. (yuck)

That said, they handed out a "suggested snack list" because they are no longer letting the kids bring "unhealthy" snacks from home. Now, every family has their view of what is healthy and what is not. I think we can all agree that a Snickers Bar is unhealthy (but yummy), but once you get into which granola bar is healthy and which might as well be a snickers bar, it gets kind of dicy. So, they made it clear for us, distributing a list of "approved healthy snacks"

I just about cracked up!! All the normal things were there Fruit, Nuts (although they can't bring nuts because someone might have an allergy), carrot sticks, goldfish crackers, etc. They ALSO had some new suggestions (which is where I started to snicker)

Here are my FAVORITE suggestions...

  • Hummus (every 5th grader's FAVORITE snack!!!)
  • A Can of Tuna Fish (again, a favorite... especially just PLAIN tuna. PLUS I think that a can-opener could be considered a "weapon" and cause them to be expelled)
  • and my very favorite for personal reasons... Hard Boiled Eggs.

Now, I'd like you to imagine my child, who leaves snacks in his backpack for MONTHS, with a hard-boiled egg sent in as a snack! (you getting the picture? or rather the "fragrance" the faint... ok not so faint aroma of WROTTEN eggs????)

Who made this list???!!!!!!!!!!!! Someone who evidently does NOT have a 5th grader! Or ANY kids for that matter. I'm sure the kindergarten moms, whose kids actually DO eat snacks will just be overjoyed at the prospect of their little ones opening cans of tuna for their snacks!

Glad that my kid doesn't want a snack in the first place, BUT I'm very tempted to put a few cans of tuna in his backpack (without the weapon-like can-opener) just for laughs.


What happened to cookies and Kool-aid???? I think I turned out just fine!!! (as we can tell, that might actually be the reason for the changes... look at what happens when you allow your child to eat cookies and koolaid... they have to write a blog that documents their terrible food/drink habits!!)

and on that note... the tiny blah blah blah

Unhealthy Snack of the Day - Starbucks (yeah, i'm totally off the make the coffee at home thing already) Cinnamon Dolce Latte AND (I really was bad today) a slice of their lemon pound cake

Music - My Long Mellow List - Right now I'm listening to "Stay" by Lisa Loeb and Nine Stories. One of the best things about the movie Reality Bites was the music.
This song in particular is one of my favorite things from the movie. (that and Janeane Garofalo's character talking about working at the Gap..."I'm late for a jean folding seminar!")

Oooh! Now Elton John's "Your Song" is on. It's the song that my college roommate said she loved so much that any guy who sang it for her, she would probably marry. (I had my own song...of course no one sang it, but I'm still not going to say what it was. It IS pretty funny in the context of my life AND I should have picked a different one now that I look back. I'll think on what my new one would be.)

No comments: