Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Well here we are on Wednesday and I have a bunch of people looking for me to actually SAY something. And even though I said yesterday that this wasn't going to have an effect on me (the fact that people are reading this) it does!!! I don't feel like I can say nothing and get away with it!! LOL

Since this is supposed to be my blog about my artwork, I really feel like I have to talk about that now. BUT I know there are people reading this that have no clue what i'm all about artistically, so I feel like I need to keep telling back-stories, but I'm not going to... for the most part. Might have to every now and then, though.

SO, today's topic is creativity.

I received an e-mail from someone who took a class from me in Maine years ago which sparked this discussion. And this is one of my favorite topics, so this could end up being a 14 week sermon series (snicker) so beware!!!!!! The person who e-mailed me found this out because she asked one LITTLE question and the e-mail I sent back was a NOVEL on the topic, which is "finding your own voice as an artist."

I really really miss going and teaching workshops. It was a big part of what i did (do), being able to share what I know and helping people to develop artistically. My very favorite class, however, hardly EVER sold because it wasn't one about learning to make MY beads, but one that helped them find their own voice, begin their own creative journey. One of the highlights of my career was when I was invited to speak about the subject at the International Society of Glass Beadmaker's conference in 2003. I was terrified to stand in front of that many people and speak, but I really believed in what I was talking about, so I hope that someone got something out of it.

ANYWAYS...When I was booked to teach, it was usually one of my techniques classes... how to make MY beads. People who are beadmakers (not ALL of them, but a good portion of them) want to learn to make beads that SELL. In most art forms people don't walk into a class wanting to learn how to paint like a certain painter (or whatever art form) so that they can then go and make paintings just like that artist and sell them. That's what happens with beads, though. People knew that my beads sold. They wanted to make beads to sell, so learning my techniques would give them a new "bag of tricks" to go market.

The history of beadmaking really shows this trend of the connection of monetary value and bead-style which is why I've got to do some back-story telling before I really talk about what I want to talk about.

And that will have to wait till tomorrow.

BUT the main idea for me to take away today is.... I have something important to teach Glass Beadmakers and I need to try to book classes teaching not only techniques but also about finding your individual voice as a glass beadmaker.

More on how to do that and why tomorrow... maybe... unless something totally silly pops into my head and I decide to talk about that instead...


tiny blah blah blah...

coffee today - same ol same ol... Cinnamon Dolce Latte (I have GOT to make coffee at home tomorrow!!)

music - Colbie Callait. Started the morning w/ Crowded House, but it was a little too "dark" and the sun is coming out, so I thought I'd add a little "Bubbly" to my day!!!

No comments: